5. Integrating and Retaining Internationally Trained Workers
5.1 Bridge-to-work programs
Integrating and Retaining Internationally Trained Workers
Bridge-to-work programs help provide a bridge between international training and experience and working in Canada. They include internships, occupation-specific training and placement, and external mentoring programs. The programs start with a work placement, after which you may offer a more permanent position to the ITW.
These programs give employers:
- Support by offering workplace training to ITWs outside of work hours;
- An opportunity to upgrade an ITWs skills to meet specific needs; and
- Assurance that the ITWs skills meet Canadian standards before deciding whether to make a more permanent hiring commitment.
Bridge-to-work programs also help ITWs integrate effectively into the workplace with:
- structured guidance through coaches or mentors during the placement;
- opportunities for professional development and networking; and
- regular evaluations and feedback.